We continue with practice and socialization, continually requiring the puppy to give better behaviors for the same rewards and expanding on his exposures and experiences. We build reliability and constancy with the potty training, manners, and obedience by doing this. The puppy will do another practice transition during this time. We are now focusing in areas of most importance to the client and in areas the puppy has more difficulty. Adolescence is in full swing now and the puppy continues learning by testing limits and boundaries and getting clear feedback to what is and isn’t appropriate behavior. Teething also typically is going on now. We also continue practicing in new setting and applying all training to the real world so it will be functional once puppy is with client.
This is where we apply all finishing touches to the Socialization and potty training. The puppy’s schedule very closely mirrors the client’s requested schedule. Obedience is solid and reliable in most settings. Manners are very good at this point. If the puppy is still in adolescence and teething, the trainer may have special instructions for working with this once the puppy comes home. The puppy’s is getting many opportunities to practice and gain experience.
By the 16th week of Prep School most puppies are 6 months old and through those puppyhood phases that lead to problems with owners. They are now capable of controlling when they potty. They are through the socialization phase which has them getting into everything. They are also for the most part through the testing limits and boundaries phase which makes training pretty reliable at this point. There is an anticipated transition period the puppy will go through when first arriving home, but the trainers will have great guidance on what to expect and how to get through it as quickly and seamlessly as possible from his practice transitions.
- Your dog will be crate trained and house-trained, including ringing a bell to go outside if requested by the new owner.
- Your dog will exhibit good manners and be consistent with the obedience commands "Attention", "Come", "Sit", "Stay", "Leave It" and "Touch."
- Your puppy will be trained in line with the Smeraglia S.T.A.R. Puppy Certification.
- Your dog will also be eligible to be CGC (Canine Good Citizen) Certified. (This is accomplished after they have reached the age of one year and when you have maintained the training they recieved during the 16 week program).
- Your dog will be spayed or neutered.
- Your dog will be micro-chipped.
- Your dog will have received all age appropriate vaccinations.
- Your puppy will be past the socialization period which means that their temperament is established.
- To make for an easier transition, your dog will spend time in the homes of two trainers so that his/her ability to transition will be tested prior to going home.
- This is Phase I of our Service Dog programs.