Get Prepared For Your Puppy's Arrival
Read our Blog, Smeraglia Facebook Page & Forum every day. We love social networking! Our Blog, Smeraglia Facebook Page & Original Forum are great places to meet other Smeraglia puppy owners, stay in touch with littermates, share stories, pictures, and helpful advice and to get references if you need them.
Get Goldendoodle Gear for You!
Please visit the TBDOODLES Store at Cafe Press for exclusive TeddyBearGoldendoodle & TeddyBearSchnoodle Merchandise. This is where you can get cute puppy shirts, coffee mugs, hats and all kinds of great items which feature our cute exclusive Goldendoodle and Schnoodle Logo.
What vaccinations did my puppy get before coming home? Each Puppy will come home with a very detailed health record and Health Guarantee enclosed in their puppy kit. Please take the health record to your vet when you go in for your puppy's first check-up.
Crate Training - "We always recommend crate training."
Have a crate on hand for the first few weeks and keep your puppy in it when you are not with him but not for more than a few hours at a time. Make sure the crate is not too big. It should be large enough for the puppy to stand up, turn around, stretch out, but no bigger. Dogs do not want to soil their beds, and the use of a crate teaches them to control their urge to eliminate. Your puppy has already begun some of his crate training before he arrives. He has already learned along with his litter mates that his crate is for sleeping and not for going potty in. Because of this pre-training, most pups are very easy to crate train. Please be aware: a dog that is left in a crate all day long gets let out in the evening after work for a few hours, and then put back in the crate for the night, can become a miserable, destructive dog.
If you work all day and intend on crating your dog while you are gone, it is recommended that you find someone who can let your dog out for a potty break and playtime midday. If this is not possible, then only use the crate at night. If you must leave your dog all day long every day and you have nobody to let the dog out during the day, you should find a room that he can be contained in and put down food, water, and toys. A kitchen, bathroom, or utility room works great. You should set up the room so that bed and food are at one end and pee pads or newspaper at the other. They need to find something to occupy their mind, so give your dog plenty of toys. Dogs are den animals and will usually come to like the crate, but even a den animal would go crazy if it were locked up all day long.
Doodle Prep School
Here at Smeraglia's, we realize that while it is very exciting, bringing a new puppy into your home can be a frustrating, life-interrupting event. With the new information now available about canine behavioral development, we know that the first few days, weeks, and months of your puppy's life are critical for his happy and healthy growth as well as a lifetime of harmony in your home.
The puppy prep school program was developed exclusively for our special Teddy Bear Goldendoodle & Teddy Bear Schnoodle puppies.
Our program is very different than most other puppy training programs because our focus is on preventing undesirable behaviors from becoming habits while developing desired behaviors in the appropriate way for each during critical developmental stages to ensure behavioral soundness for the companion (family) animal that is functional in a real world setting. The program consists of at least two weeks of boarding in a real home environment complete with young children, a police K9 trainer husband and training is done by a Certified Examiner for the AKC'S CGC program and the Delta Societies Pet Partners program, in addition to numerous other professional group affiliations and endorsements. During this time, your puppy will be given round-the-clock care while receiving daily training, custom tailored to your individual situation and needs. We can only enroll a few puppies at a time so you must reserve a spot early, limited availability.
As with children, you will likely want to puppy proof your house. Part of it is to keep the pup safe, and the rest is to keep your belongings safe from the puppy. Puppies chew things. Everything below four feet is fair game. Expect it and prepare for it. One of the best solutions is to offer a wide variety of puppy-safe chew products all over each open floor in the house. If the pup is going to chew, you might as well control what he is chewing.
- Use child-proof locks to keep substances like pesticides, meds, cleaning products, plants, etc. locked up in cabinets and away from your pup.
- When pups are very young, even rawhide strips can be dangerous. Never give these to your puppy unsupervised.
- Be aware that some foods and plants are toxic to dogs.
- Avoid heat stroke and don't leave pups or dogs locked in cars.
- After your puppy comes home, there are health risks for Parvo!
- You should NOT allow your puppy to be out in public places until after the Parvo vaccinations have been completed, 12-16 weeks.
The best way to avoid parvo infection in your dog is to adhere to the recommended vaccination schedule which begins when puppies are 6-8 weeks of age.
Puppies should not be allowed to socialize with other dogs or frequent areas where other dogs have been until two weeks after they have had their last vaccination. Immunization for Parvo is usually included in your dog's distemper vaccine. This shot gives protection against several potentially fatal canine diseases all at the same time.
Food & Treats
Go-Home Puppy Food:
Our puppies are fed Purina ProPlan "Focus" Chicken & Rice puppy food while in our nursery because it is readily available in all locations.
We suggest that you purchase one 20 lb. Bag of ProPlan Chicken & Rice Puppy food for your puppy's arrival. If you intend to feed Paw tree or Life's Abundance, our suggested foods for life, then you will also need to place an order online for Paw tree "Chicken & Sweet Potato" or the Life Abundance puppy formula to have it ready for your puppy when he arrives home.
Mix the Pro plan with the Paw tree/Life's Abundance and once this mixture is gone, go straight to the ordered food.
We highly reccomend Pawtree products!
Food is the foundation of good health. We know as pet parents it can be overwhelming to decide what food will give our pets the proper nutrition to live healthy, vibrant lives. While dogs can survive on most commercial brands, PAWTREE has developed customized nutrition plans to help your dog thrive in life, not just survive.
Every dog is unique. Why should they all eat the same thing? The answer is, they shouldn't!
Simply tell us about your pet by completing your pet's profile. Based on the information you provide, Pawtree will recommend a customized nutrition plan unique to your dog's specific needs. This program will consist of one of their proprietary pet food recipes and other supplements that work synergistically to optimize your dog's health based on his unique needs. Pawtree recommendation is created from an algorithm developed by experienced Veterinarians and Ph.D. in Animal Nutrition and is designed to generate customized recommendations based on your pet's profile.
It's that simple! pawTree takes the guesswork out of pet nutrition.
Get started on the perfect diet plan for your pet. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3
- Tell us about your dog by filling out our proprietary pet profile online
- Choose a name for your pet's food and upload your pet's photo
- Sit back, relax and enjoy customized nutrition delivered right to your door!
PAWTREATS - Our Doodles will do anything for these treats!
PawTreats are delicious and nutritious treats your dog will crave, and you’ll feel good about feeding! Dogs are natural hunters who thrive on a diet of primary meat and some vegetables to thrive and live a healthy, vibrant life. Our freeze-dried varieties are grain-free, all-natural, healthy; real food treats made with simple ingredients based on your dog’s optimal diet. They are a blend of high- quality meat, fruits and vegetables that dogs crave.
• Grain free
• Natural, wholesome and holistic
• No corn, no wheat, no soy
• No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
• No fillers
• Developed by a Veterinarian
• Made in the USA
Gastro Pro Plus
Good health begins in the gut. Help your dog maintain a healthy, active lifestyle with good gastrointestinal health. Gastro Pro Plus is a complete combination of probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, and herbs that support proper digestion and bowel health. Proper digestion comes naturally with Gastro Pro Plus
Life's Abundance Holistic Food - Our Second Favorite Food.
These are the holistic, organic products that I recommend from Life's Abundance: SAVE MONEY BY PLACING AUTOSHIP ORDER EVERY SIX WEEKS.
- Antioxidant Health Bars (24-ounce jar): Antioxidant Bars include apples, peanut butter and honey, oatmeal, stabilized rice bran, brown rice, ground flaxseed, rolled oats, flaxseed oil, dried whole eggs, cranberries, and carrots. Since antioxidants are so important to maintaining a healthy immune system, we’ve added a hefty helping of vitamin E, vitamin C, and beta-carotene.
- Dental Treats: Dental treats include parsley (which has fluorine to help with clean teeth and fresh breath), peanut butter and honey for a yummy taste, calcium, and phosphorus for healthy bones. All dogs generally like this treat - it is on the softer side of all the treats, will help maintain good oral hygiene.
Tasty Rewards Training Treats (16-ounce bag): Tasty Rewards (training treats) are wholesome nutritional training treats made from free-range, farm-raised chicken and venison. They’re loaded with proteins, minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. (Every dog loves these treats!) Keep in mind, all our treats are made in a human bakery and contain no artificial flavors or colors. All of our treats have a purpose; they are not just empty calories.
- Porky Puffy (5in Bag): Porky Puffs are packed with high-quality protein, they are chewable treats that are non-greasy and contain no chemical preservatives or flavors. They are easily digestible and therefore a safe alternative to rawhide, which can cause choking, throat irritations and potentially dangerous intestinal blockages.
Order The BEST Dog Vitamins: We make it easy to keep your doodles healthy!
- NuVet Plus Vitamins (click to order & get on auto ship, you do not want to run out of your vitamins) CODE 34820 or Call: 800-474-7044
- Your puppy has been on Nuvet Plus Vitamins since six weeks of age; I highly recommend this vitamin for your new puppy. You need to place your order before your puppy comes home.
- You can click on the Nuvet Plus Vitamins link above to order.
- NuVet Plus Vitamins are a requirement for all puppy adoptions.
New Puppy (Shopping) Checklist
- Paper towels (a lot of paper towels)
- Old Towels for Crate. Once the puppy is reliably crate trained, a "real" crate bed can be used.
- Old Blanket or Towel(s) to cover wire Crate
- Cotton balls for cleaning ears
- Hydrogen Peroxide (to induce vomiting, if necessary)
- 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin (from the baking aisle of your grocery store)
Pumpkin is an excellent source of fiber. When the puppy has diarrhea or constipation, a tablespoon or two with every meal for several days should help alleviate symptoms. Freeze excess in ice cube tray.
- Baby Gate(s)
Try baby supply stores - generally more choices and cheaper than pet stores (Beware that horizontal bars provide a foothold for climbing puppies. Also consider spacing between bars, as sometimes it is large enough for little puppies to get caught)
- PawTree Dog Food - Get Signed up Two weeks before your puppy comes home
- NuVet Plus Vitamins (click to order & get on auto ship, you do not want to run out of your vitamins) CODE 34820 or Call:1.800.474.7044
- Your puppy has been on Nuvet Plus Vitamins since six weeks of age, and I highly recommend this vitamin for your new puppy. You need to place your order before your puppy comes home.
- You can click on the Nuvet Plus Vitamins link above to order.
- Karbo Essential - This product is highly recommended for digestion by Sherri for all Goldendoodle puppies.
- Malacetic Ear Wash
- Tell Bell - Potty Training System
- Puppy Shampoo & Spritz: Nootie & Reliq
- Tooth Brush Kit: We use the Fresh Breath Toothbrush & Paste
- Ear Wipes: We use Nootie Ear Wipes
- Chew Hooves - The Puppy Pacifier, your puppy has been chewing these in the nursery
- Toys: Here are some of our Favorite Toys
- Pooper Scooper & Poop bags
- Food and water bowls
- Storage bin for dry food
- Adjustable Nylon Collar w/ plastic clasp
10 - 14-inch size for standard or medium Doodle Puppies, Smaller for Mini Doodle puppies.
- I.D. Tag
- 6-foot leash
- 15 foot or longer (up to 50 foot) training leash(es)
- Plastic Crate for crate training
- Another good idea is the Double-door folding crate with divider (we like both Midwest and Precision brands)
- Medium - Standard Sized Doodles need at least a 42-inch crate, and we recommend the 48. Mini Doodles can use a 36-inch crate.
- Travel Crate for car until puppy is big enough to wear a car harness
- Smeraglia's favorite Car Harness
Doodle Puppies: By Sherri Smeraglia & Meredith Gillikin - Order from our SmagDog Pet Products - $29.99
"A Special Thanks To Marla For Posting This On Our Forum."
- For a new puppy owner, there are some great general positive training books. My top picks would be:
Ian Dunbar: Before and After Getting Your Puppy
Pat Miller: The Power of Positive Dog Training
Patricia McConnell: Family Friendly Dog Training; Way To Go-How To House Train A Dog of Any Age
- Top picks for Clicker training:
Melissa Alexander: Click for Joy
Emma Parsons: Click To Calm
Karen Pryor: Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs
Peggy Tillman: Clicking With Your Dog
Now, if you love reading, here are a few other general positive training book recommendations:
- Robin Bennett: Off-Leash Dog Play
Trish King: Parenting Your Dog
Patricia McConnell: The Other End of the Leash, How To Be Leader of the Pack, Play Together-Stay Together
Pat Miller: Play With Your Dog, Positive Perspectives
Leslie Nelson: video – Reliable Recall
Colleen Pelar: Living with Kids and Dogs Without Losing Your Mind
Karen Pryor: Don’t Shoot the Dog
Turid Rugaas: On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals
Linda Tellington-Jones: Getting In TTouch With Your Dog
My Favorite Goldendoodle Book is: "Fletcher, The Very First Teddy Bear English Goldendoodle."
This newly released story makes a great gift for any child or Doodle Family.
Once it is signed by the author and gets Fletcher's stamp of approval, complete with sloppy doodle kisses, this book will quickly become a coffee table favorite!
Smeraglia Farm In Robertsdale, Alabama is a very special place. It is the home of the five Smeraglia Children and the birthplace of Fletcher.
When the family pet, a handsome, loyal and charming English Golden Retriever named Murphy, can no longer get his favorite belly rubs because of Natalie, the youngest of the Smeraglia children is allergic to him, everyone is sad.
Things change when a new girl comes to live on the Smeraglia Farm. A beautiful, intelligent and hypo-allergenic Standard Poodle named Georgette joins the family. All - especially Murphy loved Georgette.
One Christmas morning the family gets a big surprise, and we are introduced to FLETCHER..... In this charming book, you will meet Fletcher, the very first Teddy Bear Goldendoodle, who is the cutest and most clever puppy of all.
Written by: Sherri Smeraglia Illustrated by Meredith Johnson